Mastercard Foundation Calls for Applications from Academically Talented
Young People in Africa for The Master Card Foundation Scholars Program
(MCFSP) at University of Cape Town (UCT) for 2023/2024 Academic year. See Eligibility, Benefits, Requirements,
Application Guidelines and Process.
Do you have what it takes to be a Mastercard Foundation Scholar? The University of Cape Town is looking for the next generation of leaders to join this unique scholarship program.
Until 2024, over 400 African students will be awarded full scholarships to UCT as part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
The initiative provides students with a top-level education, as well as leadership and career development, mentorship and access to a global alumni network.
Learn how you can join us and help make positive change in our communities.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa will receive holistic support, which includes:
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognised education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
How to Apply
Visit the links below to learn more about the undergraduate and graduate application procedures.
Note that application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is not the same as an academic application for UCT. Prospective scholars are advised to submit an academic application to UCT first, and then apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
Applications for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarships at UCT for 2023 acadamic year are now open and closing on 25 September 2022.
Application deadlines for postgraduate programmes can be confirmed with the relevant faculty office.