Students are also offered the opportunity to continue their study in civil service posts after graduation. Through SMART, the Department of Defense equips research students with not only an education but also a profession. Also, In 2006, the Department of Defense (DoD) launched the DoD SMART Scholarship (Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation) for Service Program to help undergraduate and graduate students pursuing technical degrees in STEM areas. You can also look into the 2023 Schwarzman Scholarship.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
SMART is a Department of Defense civilian scholarship-for-service programme that is financed by the Secretary of Defense’s Office and is part of the National Defense Education Program (NDEP). As a result, the program’s purpose is to increase the number of civilian scientists and engineers employed by the Department of Defense. Additionally, the Department of Defense’s SMART scholarship provides tuition and scholarships to undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate students who have showed an aptitude for succeeding in STEM subjects important to the Department of Defense.
DoD STEM strives to attract, motivate, and develop outstanding STEM talent throughout the educational spectrum, as well as advance the current DoD STEM workforce to address future defense technical challenges. As a result, the Department of Defense understands the value of aiding young American scientists and engineers with their studies.
Furthermore, the SMART Scholarship Program is an important aspect of the Department of Defense’s investment in attracting the best hands and brightest minds with technical knowledge to aid in the Department’s mission. The Department of Defense’s SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program is part of a larger initiative to boost the flow of new, highly skilled technical labour into DoD facilities and agencies while also upgrading the technical abilities of the existing workforce.
AVAILABLE FIELDS OF STUDIES
Applicants pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in, or closely related to, one of the following Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) areas are eligible for the DoD SMART Scholarship:
- Engineering for Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Chemical Engineering is a discipline that deals with the study of chemicals.
- Computational and computer sciences
- Nuclear Technology.
- Civil engineering is the study of structures.
- Engineering and Materials Science.
- Behavioral and neural sciences
- Research in Operations.
- Science of Information.
- Electrical engineering is the study of electricity.
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering of Industrial and Systems Systems
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture.
To be eligible for the SMART Scholarship DoD, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.
- Permanent residents are not eligible, and citizenship documentation is necessary.
- Also, You must be 18 years old or older as of August 1, 2022.
- Capable of interning at a Department of Defense facility throughout the summer.
- Willing to work for the Department of Defense after graduation.
- Also, attending a U.S. college or university to pursue a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the aforementioned areas.
- The student must be in good standing at the time of the award and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
The DoD SMART Scholarship for Service is open to legal students from the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
Participants in the SMART scholarship programme get annual cash grants ranging from $25,000 to $41,000, based on prior educational experience, in addition to tuition and other educational fees at any accredited college or institution in the United States. The following are some of the benefits:
- The annual stipend.
- A health insurance reimbursement payment of $1,200 is offered per academic year.
- Each school year, a $1,000 book allowance is offered.
- Summer internships are available (multi-year participants).
HOW TO APPLY
The scholarship application is completed online at the scholarship website. So, you can apply for this scholarship by visiting the DoD SMART website at: