The African Studies Centre Leiden (ASCL) Calls for Applications from Qualified Candidates
for its 2022 Visiting Fellowship Programme [Fully Funded]. Deadline: 1st April, 2022, See Eligibility, Requirements and Application Guidelines.
The African Studies Centre Leiden calls for applications for a
three-month (90 days) visiting fellowship from January up to and
including March 2022. Applications from all academic disciplines are
welcome. An application must include an element of collaboration with a
researcher of the African Studies Centre Leiden. The output of that
collaboration can be a joint seminar or workshop, a joint research
proposal, or a joint publication.
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of
which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements:
will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to
the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood
to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own single bed/sitting
room. Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other
fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unaccaptable for
the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation
him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this
insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
How to Apply.
Applications must be submitted in English or French.
However, Visiting Research Fellows may pursue their research in any
language(s) of their choice, in agreement with their ASCL/Leiden
Complete application form and send it, together with all required additional documents, to: [email protected].
- your updated list of publications;
- a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles;
- two recent letters of recommendation;
- a statement from an ASCL researcher stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you;
- a statement from a Leiden University researcher (not ASCL) stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you.
For more information please visit ASCL Website.
1st April, 2022.